For me, the nasty F word is Feminism.
Because its been taken out of context. Before anyone gets their panties (or boxer briefs) in a tizzy let me explain.
Last night we sat down as a family to watch the AMA's. The boys, like so many teens, are plastered to their earbuds. And because they have the coolest mom in the world- that understands the need for songs on demand, they have access to spotify. (we have checks and balances in place dont you worry!).
The opening gig? Pink and Kelly C singing. Alright! I can dig this. Two of my favorites up there making it look easy.
But the theme of the night kept beating over us: women! We are powerful! We have rights!
And we do.
Except the thing that is missed on "Hollywood" (Hollywood representing the expressives with the platforms to larger audiences than most of us will ever have) is ironic. They cheer for women to be respected, heard. To be powerful. And in the same 8 minute set have women dancing to the most popular tunes as half dressed strippers sharing the stage.
Men have made a way in this world because they are leaders. They are powerful. And they have never needed to broadcast it.
Feminism is defined by websters as the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes.
We as women are battling something as old as time. And while that stirs in us frustration that we want to project, we’ve got to understand that paving a way can be done with integrity.
This begins with us.
“Your right hand, O Lord, glorious in power, your right hand, O Lord, shatters the enemy. In the greatness of your majesty you overthrow your adversaries; you send out your fury; it consumes them like stubble. At the blast of your nostrils the waters piled up; the floods stood up in a heap; the deeps congealed in the heart of the sea. The enemy said, 'I will pursue, I will overtake, I will divide the spoil, my desire shall have its fill of them. I will draw my sword; my hand shall destroy them.' You blew with your wind; the sea covered them; they sank like lead in the mighty waters. "Who is like you, O Lord, among the gods? Who is like you, majestic in holiness, awesome in glorious deeds, doing wonders? You stretched out your right hand; the earth swallowed them. "You have led in your steadfast love the people whom you have redeemed; you have guided them by your strength to your holy abode.”
Exodus 15:6-13
As a woman rooted in Jesus, I have full confidence in who I am. I am not fighting for scraps. I am at the feasting table. With my Lord and a collection of men and women. I am confident that Jesus is fighting for me. Because of my identity, I can be a submissive wife. A word and action our culture tells us is evil! Submission, in societal eyes, could never display equality. But I partner with my spirit and walk in a completely different society than what is seen with our physical eyes. Making me confident in my equality as a female.
With this confidence, comes increasing strength that does not require me to shout “I am powerful!” With this confidence, I am empowered to boldly walk up right rather than arch my back and scantily dress myself for attention to reimburse my value.
We cannot shout one thing and act in the complete opposite direction. To be taken seriously, we must rise up in our rooted self, solidifying that we no longer need to shout because the king of the universe wars for us! Like watching a child grow out of tantrums and walk in self control, once we grasp who we are and our roots are established, then we gain respect which leads to equality.
When we have Jesus, and his perspective, the ever changing world opinions no longer dictate our words, feelings, or behavior.
Agreed. Great read. RA
ReplyDelete