Post MARATHON syndrome
I guess it's time I report on my event. It was a muggy morning. Chad and I scored a great parking spot because we got there really early so we sat and talked. We laughed a lot - we had that delirious we didn't sleep enough and are up to early kinda time.
Chad mentioned my calm no rush attitude kinda freaked him out. But that's the perk of having done plenty of events and not being type A. :)
The first half was great. Too warm for my taste but I was keeping cool by pouring water in my head at every water stop. I was thrilled to see a PR (personal record) coming my direction!
Around mile 15 I started experiencing some unusual never before knee pain. The outside of my right knee was in excruciating pain when I ran. If I turned my foot out I could keep running but that only got me through mile 17. At this point I was SO discouraged. I wanted to go home.
I sent Chad away (he was with me most of the race on his bike) and had a little heart to heart with myself. I wasn't wimping out. I wasn't walking because I was a quitter. So I decided I'd give myself grace and finish this thing as long as walking didn't hurt.
And I did. I did some awkward run the last 1/10th of a mile that was more like a hobble and finished in 6:05... I think that's a pretty great time for walking 10 miles of it!
Last week I was swelled up 10+ pounds-crazy huh!?!? I'm feeling good-have cold symptoms(normal after a race) and the blues(normal after a race) and sore toenails (normal after a race). Today I will start back in real workouts which should -fingers crossed-clear up the blues!
This was a community effort. Support,prayer, and encouragement by family and friends was tremendous. And a pedicure gift card from some sweet friends sweetened the deal!
I'm not at a place to say never again but I do have knees to consider. For now I'm thrilled to be working out under 90 minutes a day!!!!

You did so great! I'm so proud of you for finishing and being super woman. You are amazing!!
ReplyDelete-Chad