Chad and I were trying to decide early May what to do with the two weeks he gets off in the summer. Some of that time would be spent serving with our church's youth ministry. We knew that no plans would mean spending out of boredom... So we made a budget and made some plans!
We left on Fathers day heading to Palo Duro Canyon to camp a night and let the boys experience for the first time the play "Texas". We have camped here before in the summer and knew it would be a hot one, but it was just one night so we endured. Plus camping is CHEAP. We managed some hiking before the play. JD liked the play but was worried about them breaking the law by using fireworks. Kade liked the guns and fights but said there was "too much love".
As in any camping trip (at least for us Hoes) we run out of something. This is because we keep our camping gear stored in the attic with the intentions of restocking the camping tubs. However, every time we get home from a camping trip we are too tired to check and restock. (when we camped more we kept a running tab so it was easier, but we have gotten lazy mostly because we camp 2 xs a year at most these days). SO, we didnt have propane night one. I have learned to pack what seems like ridiculous amounts more for camping (we went through, more like I went through, and entire box of cheese its in 24 hours) so we had a cold dinner.
After the play we headed back to our spot. It was hot and its always an interesteing adjustment getting us all used to close quarters but eventually we fell asleep only to be awakened a few hours to a SERIOUS storm. I heard the loudest thunder I've ever heard in my 32 years. We brought the boys into our bed with us and Kade and I had great conversation under the covers at 2 a.m. That was unexpected fun!
Monday we got up early and were eager to get on the road. Moist bedding doesn't encourage sleeping in. As we got into New Mexico Kade said "I don't like New Mexico because they hate dogs. They kill them and eat them." We said that sounds more like OLD Mexico. He also said "I hope we know the language of Mexico." Again, OLD Mexico.
We stopped at the Capulin Volcano which was a fun break in the day of traveling. Several signs were posted saying "safety corridors" anyone know what those are for? The boys are allowed to take their game boys but its limited (they keep asking for our next car to have a movie player) so we listen to Adventures in Odyssey, read, and talk a ton. While Kade was reading a book, he saw a girl in a bikini where he called the top a "boob holder" we lost it!!!
Creeping toward Sangre de Cristo Mountains (the blood of Christ) we realized this was the longest car ride the boys have ever experienced, we also realized we were in bear country (the camp grounds won't let you forget it). JD and Kade are the kids that take the what ifs to extreme so while discussing bear safety the statement was made by yours truly "even if the bear climbs in the truck and drives away we let him" JD replied "yeah, because we have awesome insurance." Not sure he got the point but glad he is confident in Allstate.
Did I mention there are no showers at the Great Sand Dunes National Park? Oh yea, there aren't. Just a water only rinse station. Thank the Lord He encouraged me to grab those baby wipes as we walked out of the house Father's Day! We spent the time in Colorado hiking, playing in the sand, exploring, and a bike ride or two... I love the time around the fire making smores, telling stories. Our family occasionally will go around and tell our favorite things about each other. We did this one night while staring into the fire. I am always amazed at the thoughtfulness of our boys. Grateful for love and laughter!
Our drive home had sprinkles of elevation sickness and car sickness. Drinking tons of water helped avoid a puke fest. It was a great vacation because by the end of it we all wanted to get away and have some alone time! I count that as success!
pictures to come
No comments:
Post a Comment