Last Monday the forecast looked like a runners dream. But as the week progressed a new set of running dilemmas stirred up. Wet, cold, and wind. As I waited for the driver to pick me up Saturday I began wondering if I'd packed enough (thankfully Holy Spirit and I talked the entire time so I was guided on my packing list). Then we began holding our breath until we got into the hour by hour detail listings of the weather during 8-11 Sunday morning.
As I prepped Sunday morning I heard the Lord say "I am with you. We've got this!" I shared with the girls and we claimed it! (Gotta love that we have a god that wants to partake in all out activities!)
It was about 34 when the race began. There was wind. But no moisture. I had been thinking one or the other would be tolerable. The race began. I was feeling good. Found my stride and was ahead of pace. Had some Mark Driscoll keeping my ears company the first 70 minutes (it was on coveting-really was eye opening as I noticed myself coveting people's paces and body shapes. A little repenting did me some good and I refocused). As time went on I saw I could actually break my best time (which I'm terrible at keeping track of I just know 2:30 has never happened).
I high fived spectators (the like 2 people there), laughed when one of the water boys replied to my thank you with "I love America", and sent the world some selfies (I've been a selfie abuser since the early 90's). There was a drizzle here and there but overall the weather was nice and I managed to sweat.
Before I knew it I was at mile 11(I think my fully got me used to a 10 mile base making ten fly by)! Between 11-12 was my wall. But I pushed. Used that mental strength and finished strong at 2:26!
After Mexican food we trucked home with only a few hiccups from inclement weather. I was snoring by 9:15. Today I tire easily but feel great!
Next one is in 8 weeks.
No comments:
Post a Comment