After reading "Friendship for Grown ups" by Lisa Welchel this summer I felt the Lord develop some ideas about doing a study over this book. Her stories were like reading my own awkward encounters of girlfriend relationships. So after a few months of praying the Lord formed a group of girls I felt I was to walk this through. We finished up last week.
I didn't grow up experiencing committed friendships and if my parents had those kinds of relationships I wasn't privy to them. After years (and years and years) of not understanding why I felt lonely and socially stupid I see now I've been relationally starving.
Some of the concepts of this book are foreign to me, but they do make sense. Why is it that we ask the hard questions with are spouses and walk through conflict and pain with them but the idea of doing so with friends sends us into a panic? I'm not at all saying I enjoy conflict, but I do see that IN LOVE it may be necessary and beneficial.
The book also encouraged us to ask hard questions to our "safe" friends (friends that are trustworthy, 'got your back' kinda gals). Questions like: What draws you to me? What do I do that pushes you away? So I did this. Twice! And it was amazing! I feel closer to these girls. I feel loved in my weaknesses. I feel safe to be vulnerable. They see the heart of me. And yes, I would do it again!
So I guess my point is to encourage you in your relationships. To be intentional, open, and willing. Because God created us to be relational. To press into others, be vulnerable, and allow others to journey with you in life.
XOXOX
You have been such a great leader and I have thoroughly enjoyed the study!
ReplyDeleteI'll have to look for that book. You should read Brave Hearts by Sharon Hersh. It's about female relationships too and I thought it was so great.
ReplyDeleteGlad you've found such great friends!