Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Among other things.

I've been thinking about the beauty of the kids getting to skirt away with the grandparents. (Don't hear that I don't love my boys. I cherish them. However, a break secures that!) There are so many benefits. The kids experience heavy doses of freedom and grace(because it doesn't seem to matter that they pass gas at the table with the grandparents). Bonding happens intimately with mom and dad out of the picture. Relationships seem to be embedded with deep roots during these moments. I have memories of break dancing with my grandma, drinking milkshakes at the drug store, putt putt, bike rides, and a thousand walks to the park. Oh, and my grandpa sacrificing and eating cheap burritos because that's what I loved (some things never change). Sweet moments that while lost as a teenager, I now see how they shaped me. How I know 100% my grandma is rooting me on. And I feel safe.

On the flip side, these times mean moments alone with my man. YUM! It allows adventure, great talks, or silent peaceful cups of coffee with no one prying for our attention. Its a time to just be. A time to giggle. A time to go to a movie, ride bikes, or do absolutely nothing. I cherish these glimpses of time.

But my "among other things" is supposed to capture the rest. A generic benefit for kid free times. Although, now is the time to confess. I L.O.V.E. that my house stays clean. Just before the kids are sent off I am a busy bee fluttering around the house getting it just so. And then they leave and I sit in amazement that it stays that way for over 24 hours. They say you miss this when they leave. But I can't seem to get on board with that idea. I will miss the play, the noise, the conversation, the laughter. But the idea of less laundry, more sparkle on the recently dusted table, and MUCH less pee on the toilet seat seems okay with this girl... among other things...

No comments:

Post a Comment