Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Is it failure?

Two weekends ago our boys experienced their first ever Pine Wood Derby.  With cars they made themselves (we were with them in case they needed help)... 

I'm reminded of the Brian Reagen set about the kids science project...

As parents, we have opportunities.  We get to set in motion some of our kids defaults in their approach of life.  That can be frightening at times, but sometimes I think its exhilarating! I want courageous, independent kids. I want them to be confident and walk upright with the Lord.  Because of Chad and I desiring these things we chose to let them do the work on their own.  It was an opportunity to stand strong in their confidence and identity in the LORD rather than how their hand crafted cars didn't measure up in speed or looks. 

We live in a world where kids get trophies for "participating" which sometimes means they sat on the sidelines just because they could.  And then when these kids- who have been protected against rejection most of their lives- grow up parents wonder why their adult children can't hold a job, keep a relationship, move out, etc...  Now hear me, my children are not grown and so I don't want to sit here boldly saying I know that a+b=c.  But I come back to as parents, we have opportunities. 

Did my boys bum out when their cars didn't even make it past the finish line? Of course.  Did we have to spend the morning encouraging and dealing with an assortment of emotions we would rather avoid? ABSOLUTELY. Did it sting to see my babies hurt? Indeed it did.  Was it a chance for us to talk about how proud we are no matter the result? Yes.

We had a chance to pour into our kids, one that might not have been opened up had we rocked out their cars FOR them while they were on lookers. I believe parents are called to see the greater good, to look down the road and how our decisions will play out in our kiddos lives. These tiny hiccups and ouches teach them to pick themselves up when beaten down, to stand on TRUTH. And that is something they will need all the days of their lives on earth...

Proud of my monkies!


2 comments:

  1. I love this. I often look back at different "failures" or disappointments I had growing up and I am thankful. Failure would be much harder to deal with had I not been through many "failures" throughout my entire life. Not to mention the lessons learned along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto, life is all about failures and learning how to get better! Writing this down in the parenting tips from Keri and Chad book that I started a few years ago :)

    ReplyDelete