I don't want my kids to just sign a true love waits card and agree to not do IT. I want their hearts, bodies, and minds to remain pure. I want them to agree now at age 8 that to honor their future wife means to do so all the days of their lives.
We are an open family. But honestly this topic is out of our league. We didn't grow up with easy access to pornography. Stats say by 5th grade most have seen some form. Technology age plus parents that didn't openly talk with us makes this all pretty intimidating.
Now I'd like to live in my dream world that tells me it won't be my child. That BOTH my boys will defy the statistics. However, the numbers are staggering and I prefer to be ahead of the storm rather than doing damage control afterward.
Parenting is complicated. Everything I read says just talking about it drops the premarital sex stats. But we are called further. We are to protect them from themselves, teach them to deny their fleshly desires, guide them back to falling in love with Jesus.
This isn't some endorsement, but I found this book extremely helpful and well rounded in its approach if you are unclear how to manage this area.
Good luck!

No comments:
Post a Comment