I just love those moments when an opportunity presents itself to smother a kid in sarcasm--- I mean enlightenment. :)
This morning is the first day I woke up feeling like me after the stomach stuff. I even had an appetite! With several get togethers planned for our house I thought I'd get a nice scrub in beforehand. When I told the boys they both were eager to clean the toilets!(I have no explanation for this, but I have learned not to ask questions in opportunities like these!)
So I set them up to clean the toilets. Then I have them go ahead and clean the sinks, tubs and floors. All the while, JD(aka: Mr most-eager-pants-to-clean-the-toilets) keeps asking "What are you going to be doing mom?" I bite the sarcasm back ("probably just eat ice cream and laugh at the work you are having to do sucker!") and remind him there is plenty of work to do.
JD says "my arm is starting to hurt."
And there it is.
The teachable moment.
But this time sarcasm, well a little anyway, wins. "Yes, JD, cleaning the house is hard work." Okay, its not dripping, because what I really wanted to say was "yeah, its a pain in the rear to clean up your poor aimed urine off the toilet yet AGAIN. Its gross and its something I'm not eager to do so MAYBE you could get a little better at actually LOOKING while you take a ..."
My HOPES are they will eventually learn how to be more careful in the way they conduct themselves. They won't take a clean house for granted. That we are a a family that works together to take care of the things God has given us- toilets included... Until then I'll settle for a shiny toilet that I didn't scrub!
No comments:
Post a Comment