Friday, April 27, 2012

Teach me how to Dougie

Kade is innocent. He is imaginative. And sometimes, to a fault. Dougie is a boy in his class that Kade believes. Dougie has been chased by a bear when he went hunting them. Thankfully the bear only scratched him and after a night in the hospital Dougie was fine. Over dinner after this story I stretched the truth further with a smirk on my face that I saw Dougie's mom (the only true part) and she said a gorilla bit off his toe and it grew back in the form of a banana.

The next morning on our drive to school I do as I always do- encouraged the boys to pick one person to pray for. Then, I hear "Dear Jesus, please help Dougie's toe grow back to normal."

Yes, I confessed- although Kade usually knows when we are blowing smoke, this time he took it seriously! He also told me after school that he didn't ask to see Dougie's toe because he had a substitute and didn't want to get in trouble.

Despite our efforts to hash out the truth in regards to Dougie stories, it does make you think that sometimes pretending can be awesome and adventurous. For now, we plan to let Kade be a 6 year old boy. And enjoy the break from too much Dougie this summer! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment