Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Memories light the corner of my mind

It seems like in life the memories we keep are the unexpected ones- well, that's the case for me. Rarely do I get the chance to be in the midst of something and think "yep, this one will go down in the books" but I got that today at the most unexpected time...

Our plan was to leave for Mustang Island early Sunday morning and spend 4 days on the beach camping and playing. We got a call mid afternoon on Friday explaining to us that the Island's state park had been shut down. So we scrambled to find another beach spot which gratefully we did! When we called in we learned the booking had been originally for 3 days. So no biggie. More scrambling going on to find things to do which ended up somewhat as a bust outside of the beach...

After a good few hours on Sunday and all day at the beach Monday Chad and I decided we'd leave on Tuesday and maybe hit up another state park on the drive home to float a river or something equally fun. So we spent about 20 minutes prepping for a mid morning departure Tuesday. I am SOOOO glad we did that BECAUSE...............

Chad and I woke up from the noise of the wind flapping the tent frequently. But when we woke up to WATER soaking our feet through the venting net and the tent bowing in the wind over Chad LAYING down we had to think quick! So, our option was to throw everything in the back of the truck as fast as the lightning that was coming down, collapse the ENORMOUS tent(sleeping bags and all still in) that the Jennings let us borrow- SHOUT OUT- tarp it all up and go!

We were SOAKED- everything was and I mean EVERYTHING. The boys were dry and as I comforted Kade while I ran with him in my arms to the truck he said "I'm not crying, I'm laughing!" I consider myself a tough girl and was hauling things in almost at Chad's pace and the tent with all its water was HEAVY! (no worries Jennings, its being aired out and is in tact!).

Lastly we had to wake the park host up to get the code to get out of the locked park.

All of this happened in about 25 minutes, we were on the road before 5 A.M.

In the mist of loading, and being hit by side ways rain I actually stopped and laughed a little. This ones a keeper!

Our backyard currently- thank you Abilene for predictable sunshine!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kerri, it's your blog-stalker Marsha! However, after last nights Bible study, I realize I am not the only person who sits down to read their friends' friend's blogs! HA. I don't know if you remember that I grew up in your current house and so I love to see the pictures you post! Your boys are precious and the stories you tell are sweet reminders of your love and passion for them!

    ReplyDelete