I have a rebellious streak in me that I try to keep at bay. I sometimes wonder if God wasn't apart of my life what a terrible meanie pants I would be. My flesh tends to be aggressive, angry, controlling. Learning submission and obedience for this strong willed, opinionated girl has taken years. But God is good! He pours out when we ask. So by His goodness my controlling side has shrunk, my anger is manageable, my rebellion is handed over at the foot of the cross regularly. In its place I've started seeing people how God does, choosing gentleness and obedience. ONLY BY GOD'S GRACE.
As I learn these things over the years I know I don't want to go extreme and be legalistic. However, with my training I have taught myself to be. Because I can always-and I do mean always- find a reason to get out of something. It is a challenge to listen to your body while pushing your body, while trying to decipher if you are flaking out or really do need to rest. My pride wants to be able to look at my training plan with its 461 miles and say I covered them ALL...
My body wins. I need fresh legs. I need to clear up this head cold. This means skipping today’s 8 miles and tomorrows 5 miles. In the big scheme of things that is nothing. But all of you that run know that the mental game is the biggest. All of you that follow Jesus know that the mental game Satan plays is tremendous. The battle is more about picking the truth, listening to God and my body while deflecting the enemy that longs for my soul whispering lies to me about taking 2 runs out of the equation...
This marathon, and really any way we spend our time, is less about the activity and more about the fight. Who we listen to, what our minds dwell on throughout the day, we have to make a choice to stand up for ourselves and know the truth and walk in it, to fight for victory even when our plans change or our bodies don't cooperate...
Col 1:11 being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience
amen! lisa t.
ReplyDelete