I've spent my life trying to be cool, look cool. What the heck for? I have no idea. When Chad and I began dating I'd say "be cool" and he would say "I don't know what that means." Well, really I didn't either. I have skewed ideas of what cool might mean but the beauty that comes with age, is that now I don't really give a damn- okay, I'm learning to not give a damn.
I still think its cool to cuss ;)
One of things that I thought would make me super cool- and actually it did in regards to catching boys- was to not be "into" valentines day. And this is what I did. But secretly doesn't ever girl wanta have an entire day dedicated to lovely things like kisses, hidden notes, and flowers!?!?
I'll never forget Chad and I's first low key "I'm a super cool girlfriend because I don't celebrate v-day". We were sitting on the lawn at HSU near the pond freshman year, where we could see balloons and flowers, and hear girls shrieking with delight. Right then I decided cool or not, I liked Valentines Day.
Maybe I never wanted it because I pride myself in being an independent thinker. Or because I had a daddy that doted on me with flowers, bears, and candy over the years. But the truth is, I want every chance I can get to be pursued, even if its a dumb-made up-girl infested-over done-cliche holiday.
So, I'm not cool. There I said it. But my heart is full from pursuit. My marriage is delightful. And I'll be forever a supporter of February 14th.
XOXOXOXOX
awesome post girl. i loved reading this because i find that i'm very similar to this... wanting to be "cool" and over the vday thing and its silly luuuuuv and romance stuff. i think ANY girl wants and desires to be pursued... its somewhat biblical. and guys should be the ones to take the initiative and do the damn (whoops!) thing. i find that so many guys think they are the "cool" ones now or are over it and don't have to do those things and pursue the girls... except, of course at HSU, haha, then it's TOO much! but yeah, you know what i mean. i adored this post. great thoughts you shared! :)
ReplyDelete