This morning I ran with a great threesome. Well, I ran behind them- which is not ideal (to be the slow kid in the back) but at least their rear ends were inspiring and the sun was shining! One of the girls was extremely too peppy after our 8 miler and decided to conjure up a top 5 list of the running benefits. I have to agree that the tan and guilt free cheeseburgers would probably be on my list if I made one!
For the past few years I've had a love-hate relationship with running. I remember the first mile I ran after a full year of building up to it. I remember Chad and the boys cheering me on after I ran my first 5 miler. The swelling in my chest. I did that. I.DID.THAT. No one else, no one carried me, no one drug me. The thing about running is you can't cheat- which despite my honesty I am prone to do when an opportunity presents itself (think board games, ya know the minor stuff)...
Running has allowed me to see a physical pursuit from my husband. I will be dying thinking "why the hell am I doing this" and look up and there he is screaming at the top of his extremely powerful lungs "go Keri!" He's just such a constant. Chad's the one that tells me what I am doing is awesome. He is the one that started telling me I was an athlete before I could (and still sometimes can't) believe it. Chad's the one that has been proud of me for a 2:45:23 half marathon time which in the realm of running is S-L-O-W.
Running has taught me that. That no matter the pace- dedication, integrity, and endurance is achievable. I like running because it challenges me. Its like I'm wresting through my own integrity. Will I allow myself to walk? If so, will that change my perspective on myself? Will it make me more or less valuable?
The sport has also given me chance after chance to chase dreams in my head, let myself wonder, and talk to the Lord. Its like every time my feet hit the pavement I'm telling satan he can't have me-like I'm jostling out the insecurities and lies.
This has been a journey I've mostly taken on myself. I cherish the time. It makes me a better mother. And I can't help but say that my husband has enjoyed the benefit from my runners legs! :) It's made me feel more insecure and at the same time feel more comfortable in my own skin. It has also allowed for great conversation with my brother- who is about the only person I've ever run with and not felt judged by speed or walking breaks.
Running encourages me, makes me feel strong, empowered, capable. And I guess that's why I keep at it...
Great post! You actually make it sound like it doesn't suck.
ReplyDeleteI love this post girl!
ReplyDeletethis is definitely a slow joke directed at me!!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDelete